Knee Replacement Surgery,What You Will Need at Home



 One Year After  Knee Replacement Surgery


It is exactly a year since I had total knee replacement surgery.I  am still using some of the home aids that I bought from Amazon, I had to buy online , I did not realise how much support I would need until I was in a hospital bed.I wish I had known before I had the operation that I would be in a lot of pain and would need home aids to facilitate using the shower and toilet,sitting comfortably,getting in and out of bed and getting up and down stairs.



Before You have The Surgery 



  • Get several pairs of wide leg jogger bottoms.You will have a hefty bandage to start with and your knee will be swollen.Tight jeans or pants will not do.If it is winter have warm fabric.Sturdy shoes are imperative
  • Consider an extra rail if you have stairs, Something to hang onto will give you more confidence.
  • Grab handles in the shower are a must.If you do not want the expense of disturbing tiles aand plumbing get instant suction grabs. 
  • A seat to go in the shower cubicle adds to your comfort
  • Standing up after using the toilet  is suprisingly difficult and will be helped by purpose made aids
  • A couple of frames are handy.Upstairs for help with dressing,downstairs if you want to do a few things standing in the kitchen.


Get all this set up before you have the surgery .Organize a food delivery system.You will not be able to drive, it was 4 months before I could drive safely so ask someone to drive you around or open an account with a taxi company to take you physiotherapy for example.

I bought and used all three of these products and found them all sturdy aand useful.It may soon be time to have my other knee replaced so I am glad that I have kept all of my aids.
I took major action over my bathroom.I realised that I could not climb into the big old fashioned bath or climb out of it unaided. I have now got a large walk in shower with a built in seat.
Sometimes we just have to accept that we are growing older and some adaptations to are homes are necessary.




                                                              


If you are about to have this surgery good luck and get organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment