Surviving The Corona Virus At Home 2

Saturday 14th March 2020


The Genie is Out of the Bottle

We are not in total lock down yet in the UK but numerous places around the world are.Many elderly friends, like me are avoiding crowded public spaces.We have been discussing what we are all going to do at home all day and avoid dying of boredom or go mad watching endless daytime TV with increasingly pessimistic news bulletins .
This is the time to explore the attics of your mind,revisit some of the things your have enjoyed doing in the past, set some new challenges,turn your attention to some of the things you have put off doing.

Don't go on a cruise.

1. Getting your affairs in order.

You may want to check  your will with your solicitor and make sure that you leave your stuff to whom you want to leave it to.
Leaving instructions about how you want your funeral conducted in the way you want it could be done too.
Arranging for care of your pets in case you are temporarily too unwell to do it yourself may lessen anxiety.

I am not going this far at the moment but I am going to tidy my house. I do not want others to see the state of my knicker drawer.

2.Reading.

This is the time to reread those lengthy volumes you struggled with the first time around.I have been given an app called Audible as a gift.This means that I can choose books available as narrations by well known actors, it is very restful to be read to.The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens is my choice at the moment.I have just ordered Hilary Mantel's latest volume in the Woolf Hall series.

I shall not bother with Moby Dick.

The Seige by Helen Dunmore is a good survival novel about how the citizens of Stalingrad survived when the Nazis tried to starve them out from 1941 -1944 with the focus on one family.
                                                      

                                                    

Monday 16th March2020                                         

3. Getting Outside       

I cannot believe that we shall not be allowed outside if we are reasonably fit and virus free.The days are getting longer and getting up early  when then are not many people around would be a good time to walk dogs,go for a run or stroll in the fresh air.Some shops, notably Iceland are going to open up early ,about 8a.m. and have a shopping hour exclusively for the elderly when shelves have been freshly replenished and not ravaged by greedier members of society.
Other stores may follow their example.

Gardening can soon begin in earnest.I have a tiny  city back yard patio , everything has to be grown in pots .Last year I managed to grow herbs, tomatoes, salad greens,and runner beans all from seed using a plastic mini greenhouse to start them off.
This year I shall grow more vegetables, flowers can wait , a back yard supply of fresh veg will save shopping and may be a life saver if supplies in shops get harder to find.If you can't get to a garden centre many supplies for home growing are available online and can be delivered to your door.Time spent outside  in the sunshine improve your mood and general health.

Consider having an Amazon Prime Account .Free deliveries of goods  and access to Prime Film Services and Music have been worthwhile for me.

4.Watching TV

This will be a way many of us will pass the time.Because I was confined to the house for long periods following knee surgery I stumped up for Netflix and Sky.I have found the variety of programmes offered very enjoyable.
Look out for old films on Free to Air .Those old black and white movies like The Cruel Sea and Rebecca are great to watch.I know we must keep up to date and be aware but continuous  news about COVID19 can get depressing and alarming.

Staying In Touch

If you are reading this you are probably computer savvy. Set up Skype or Zoom so that you can talk to friends and family.
The thought of not seeing my children and grandchildren for months fills me with despair. An electronic conversation is better than none.




                                              

                                                 

                                   


                                 


No comments:

Post a Comment